When you hear Hong Kong what comes to your mind is a major shopping destination and a beautiful place to travel to. When you read about a place you see it’s cuisine, cinema, music, sports and recreation but no one have gone through this part of Hong Kong, China. Everyone knows, China is the most populous country but the living conditions of the people in Hong Kong is really devastating. About 2,00,000 people live in ‘coffin cubicles’ because of no land remaining for further development. These coffin cubicles are 15 to 120 sq. foot apartments. The UN described these as an ‘insult to human dignity.’ Benny Lam, a national geographic photographer exemplified these with his series ‘trapped.’
“That day, I came home and cried,” said Benny describing the living conditions of these apartments. One may think what does he has to do with these people but Benny said that they are the people that we come across in our every day life. They can be a waiter in a restaurant you go to eat or a security guard of the mall you visit.
More Info: Benny Lam
These 20 pictures show life in a ‘coffin cubicle’:
1. Learned to live with time, they are comforting themselves with compromises.
2. It’s devastating to even think of living here.
3. How can someone bear living in these coffin cubicles.
4. These people have real life struggles.
5. Just seeing these pictures give goosebumps.
6. And these pictures describe the horror of Hong Kong.
7. Could someone have worst life than this?
8. This is the cruel reality of these people in Hong Kong.
9. Kitchen-toilet complex in a cage home, how can someone live at this place?
10. They are actually homeless ’cause who can call this place a home?
11. This living condition must be really suffocating.
12. This is really heartbreaking.
13. Living here is a real trouble.
14. Even Imagining to stay here is disastrous.
15. Don’t they deserve a good life and some happiness.
16. Realizing what it feels to be here is a nightmare.
17. Are they at peace?
18. They would feel drastic thinking they have to spend their whole life at this place.
19. These coffin cubicles are worse than the real coffins.
20. Does Eating at this place even fulfill their hunger?